Leiden University’s Faculty of Humanities is currently inviting applications for a Professor of Chinese History (38 hours per week). The appointment date is 1st August 2013 (or shortly thereafter) and the deadline for applications is
30th January 2013 (UPDATE) until the position is filled.
The ideal candidate will:
- Possess excellent research qualities and a demonstrable commitment to high-quality teaching practice;
- Have a strong record of academic research and publication;
- Have experience in PhD supervision;
- Have an excellent command of Classical Chinese, Mandarin and English (competence in Japanese is an advantage); and
- Be willing to learn Dutch if he/she is not Dutch-speaking (language training will be provided by the university’s Language Centre).
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Teach classes on pre-modern China and Classical Chinese at undergraduate and graduate level;
- Supervise students’ BA and MA theses and/or PhD research ;
- Assist faculty staff in developing curricula in Chinese Studies and other relevant programs and courses;
- Conduct original research;
- Acquire project funding from organizations such as the European Research Council; and
- Represent the field to external audiences and media.
For more information about this position, salary range and application process, click here.